Problem with second IDE controller...

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 15:06:19 EST

Hello all...

        I'm have a problem with a system I recently assembled with a
motherboard I had laying around. Everything works fine if I boot
up from a cold boot power on. If I simply reboot (init 6) then
the kernel hangs on the second IDE controller with the following errors
when it boots up:

hdd: Cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x 1)
hdd: lost interrupt

        [Repeats ad infinitum]

        The second controller has a CD-Rom connected to it. I've seen this
on one other mother board and the solution, that time, was to connect the
CD Rom to the primary IDE and everything was cool. This time, the system
has two IDE drives on the primary, so that's not an option.

        It behaves the same way whether I configure the CD-Rom to be
the master (hdc) or the slave (hdd) on that controller.

        It's loaded with RedHat 6.0 and I've had the problem with 2.2.5,
2.2.12, 2.2.13 and now 2.2.14.

        I don't have the make of the motherboard but the processor is an
AMD 586. /proc/ide/ide1/model simply says "pci" and it's on interrupt 15
with no conflicts that I'm aware of.

        Booted from power-on, the CD-Rom works perfect with no errors or
lost interrupts.

        Thoughts? Suggestions?

        Mike

--