> but if you're using devfs why would you ever need to do the above? Devfs
You dont have any choice. NFS says "it happens".
> No need to mount /dev over nfs anymore.
You have to handle NFSv3 serving to non Linux clients. And as I said the
obvious approach is to lie and claim to be using 12:20
i think we're mixing up the pov of /dev/ for the server and then for
the client in the same argument.
for a linux client with devfs, it doesn't need to nfs mount any /dev,
it's builtin like /proc. a server can export a standard filesystem
type /dev over nfs to clients, irregardless of what kind of /dev it's
So where's the problem? Also, AFAIK, the split thing is transparent
to devfs. (maybe richard can confirm this).
devfs is a good thing. I and all the rest who have tried it and use
it regularly think so. It's compatible, it's clean, it eliminates
/dev admin maintenance. And it works really well.
When will it be included? And if there are problems to it's
inclusion, what are they, so that a solution can be found.
-- Paul Jakma firstname.lastname@example.org http://hibernia.clubi.ie PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt ------------------------------------------- Fortune: The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.
- To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to email@example.com Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/