Re: 2.1.123 and fbcon.c

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 23:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Yet I had to resubmit the patch and the explanation at least
> *THREE* times, over the course of 2-3 weeks, before I finally got a
> response out of you. And this was for a utterly uncontroversial patch!

Note that if some person cannot be bothered to re-submit, I don't WANT the
patch. Anybody who is not willing to take that much care of his patches
that he can't maintain it while I haven't accepted it, I don't want to
accept patches from anyway.

The basic point is that I get a _lot_ of patches, and I have to prioritize
my work. That means that I require people who send me patches to keep at
it until they make it into the kernel.

And quite frankly, I also require that people maintain them _after_
they've made it into the kernel, but at that point I also very obviously
do also maintain them at least partially myself.

Quite frankly, this particular discussion (and others before it) has just
made me irritable, and is ADDING pressure. Instead, I'd suggest that if
you have a complaint about how I handle patches, you think about what I
end up having to deal with for five minutes.

Go away, people. Or at least don't Cc me any more. I'm not interested, I'm
taking a vacation, and I don't want to hear about it any more. In short,
get the hell out of my mailbox.

Linus