Re: pre 2.1: Neat Oops with ncrBsd

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 07:35:15 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> Hi! (should be aiiie!!)
>
> Force "normal io" with "make config".
> vremap() never works with Alpha and IMHO was very sensitive under i386.
> Seems we just lose somewhere the higher address byte.

Before doing that, please try the patch I had in my pre-2.1.0 announcement,
the one that changes one line in mm/vmalloc.c (remap_area_pte): change

set_pte(pte, mk_pte(offset, PAGE_KERNEL));

into

set_pte(pte, mk_pte(offset+PAGE_OFFSET, PAGE_KERNEL));

(it's line 187). Does that make a difference for you?

NOTE! If it still doesn't work, then the problem is most likely in the NCR
driver using physical addresses when it should use virtual or vice versa.
That's not necessarily easy to find unless you know the driver, which is why
I'm not going to even try.

(but the mm/vmalloc.c change looks valid regardless)

Linus