Re: Bad news

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:35:32 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Boris Tobotras wrote:

> > I do hope you read the documentation and UPGRADED all your utilities
> > to v2.0.20 compatible ones. Red Hat has RPMs for this too.
>
> Of course I did, always running bleeding edge kernel. Note that
> even if I didn't, it is not cause to crash the kernel, right?

Right. User-level problems are _never_ a excuse for a kernel crash, so
upgrading doesn't matter. There are a few obvious exceptions to this:
- if the compiler you compiled the kenrel with is knackered, the kernel may
obviously be unstable
- if some really basic system utilities are bad, or you're running as
root, all bets are off (root can do "interesting" things with direct IO
access, /dev/mem etc). But the really basic sysutils are stuff like
"bdflush" not working at all, etc.

In this case everything of that type seemed to be ok, so it's something
else.

Linus