Re: reboot problem

Richard Guenther (richard.guenther@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:18:16 +0200 (MESZ)

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Richard Guenther wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, Alexandre Maret wrote:
>
> > Richard Guenther wrote:

> > > I have this problems too on one of my two pentium machines.
> > > They have exactly (mostly) the same software-configuration, differing only in
> > > motherboard (one is an ASUS P24XE, with no problems, the other is an ASUS
> > > P24N which causes (probably) the problems). Perhaps this might be a BIOS
> > > problem? (the P24XE has 1.13, the P24N has 2.01, both are PNP-Versions)
> > >
> > > hope this helps to track down the bug.
> >
> > Could you just tell us if you also load linux with loadlin,
> > and if it is the case, try to load it with lilo to test if
> > it behaves the same.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > alex
> >

> The machine that doesnt reboot correct uses loadlin, the one that does it
> correct is booted via lilo, but works also with loadlin.
> I'll try lilo with the other machine and try to update the bios to 2.02 on
> both machines, too, at the end of the week.
>
> Richard.

Ok, i checked it. With Lilo things go right!
So there might be (there are probably) different circumstances at linux-boot
time that the kernel doesnt care about (at reset time). But i wonder why
it doesnt work on one but not on both machines?
I noticed another difference between the two machines, i.e. one board uses
an Winbond-MultiIO-Chip (the not resetting one), the other uses an CMD (i
think, but sure no Winbond). What kind of IO-Chip do you have?

I'll check the bios later.

Richard.