1) I did: echo "unforce\ndown" > /etc/diald.fifo to tell diald to
hang up the phone line;
2) I did Control-Alt-Delete to reboot the system;
3) During the phase where it sends all processes the first
signal, it hung, and did not continue;
4) I eventually power cycled the machine;
5) When it ran fsck, it dropped me into a subshell and had me run
fsck by hand. I did so, and it complained that the fifo had 1
frag, when it expected 0. After answering yes to clear it,
everything was fine and dandy.
Now, I've rebooted other times, and as long as I don't do the echo
into the fifo, it comes down cleanly.
-- Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast) Suite 105, 48 Grove Street, Somerville, MA 02144, USA email@example.com, 617-629-3016 (office), 617-629-3010 (fax)