Re: CVS, Linus, and us

Craig Schlenter (schz@kidd.co.za)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 19:20:42 +0200 (GMT+0200)

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Warner Losh wrote:

[ stuff commented with : is mine btw.]
> : Any CVS guru's out there want to set up a test-system like this that
could
> : be demo'ed to Linus? Reading the CVS FAQ implies that restricted access to
> : the tree might not be altogether trivial to set up. Perhaps 2.1
> : development could be done on CVS if a convincing enough demo can be given
>
> I could set it up, but I don't think that would be wise. Since Linus
> is in control of the Linux Kernel, it is up to him to use the tools
> that would make it easy for him to use. I think someone in the
> location where Linus lives would be best for this, however, so that
> Linus can ask him/her over a beer "Well, I was using CVS today and..."
> Some version control should likely be used, but I'm not going to stand
> up and say "Linus, use XXX." It is up to Linus at this point.

Certainly. I didn't want to imply that we should (or could) force Linus to
do anything. Anyway, Linus's original thoughts on the topic are tagged on
down below for those of you who missed it the first time (1.3.45 era).

> I think that if the goal is to show Linus that CVS is a good thing,

This pretty much sums up my aim for the demo. What we need is to be able
to respond effectively to the issues Linus raised originally which no-one
did at the time ... a good multi branch access controlled CVS setup should
address the issues. (the 'mail' is a cut and paste from a web site
somewhere btw.)

--Craig

Re: CVS (was Linux 1.3.45 change log)

Linus Torvalds (Linus.Torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI)