Re: [GIT PULL] Char/Misc driver changes for 6.9-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 21 2024 - 16:29:00 EST

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 at 11:30, Nathan Chancellor <nathan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since GCC does not appear emit warnings for newer C features that it
> allows even with older 'gnu' standard values by default (I think it does
> with '-pedantic'?), perhaps we should just disable -Wc23-extensions
> altogether? Not sure how big of a hammer this is, I think this type of
> warning is the only thing I have seen come from -Wc23-extensions...

It looks like adding -Wno-c23-extensions would only work with more
recent clang versions, so it wouldn't actually fix the build problems,
just make them even harder for developers to actually notice.

Oh well. It's not like this is all that common a problem, so I think
we'll just have to live with it, and hope that people don't do that
"label at end of statement" very often.

(I think it's case statements too, not just labels, too lazy to look
up the details again)

Linus