Re: [GIT PULL] Pin control fixes for v6.7

From: Aiqun(Maria) Yu
Date: Fri Dec 01 2023 - 10:34:57 EST

On 12/1/2023 6:06 PM, Aiqun(Maria) Yu wrote:
On 12/1/2023 4:10 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:
Hi Nathan, Nick,

(just picking some LLVM compiler people I know of... and trust)

Context is this patch:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-gpio/20231115102824.23727-1-quic_aiquny@xxxxxxxxxxx/

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 6:37 AM Aiqun(Maria) Yu <quic_aiquny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/29/2023 11:08 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:
On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 3:56 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 at 04:09, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The most interesting patch is the list iterator fix in the core by Maria
Yu, it took a while for me to realize what was going on there.

That commit message still doesn't explain what the problem was.

Why is p->state volatile there? It seems to be a serious locking bug
if p->state can randomly change there, and the READ_ONCE() looks like
a "this hides the problem" rather than an actual real fix.

This is indeed an interesting issue. Thx for the comment, Linus.
**Let me explain how: "p->state becomes volatile in the list iterator",
and "why READ_ONCE is suggested".

The current critical code is:
    list_for_each_entry(setting, &p->state->settings, node)

after elaborating the define list_for_each_entry, so above critical code
will be:
    for (setting = list_head(&p->state->settings, typeof(*setting), node); \
&setting->node != (&p->state->settings); \
setting = list_next(setting , node))

The asm code(refer result from Clang version 10.0) can cleared explain
the step of p->state reload actions:
loop:
ldr x22,[x22] ; x22=list_next(setting , node))
add x9,x8,#0x18 ; x9=&p->state->setting
cmp x22,x9 ; setting,x9
b.eq 0xFFFFFF9B24483530

ldr w9,[x22,#0x10] ; w9,[setting,#16]
cmp w9,#0x2 ; w9,#2
b.ne 0xFFFFFF9B24483504

mov x0,x22 ; x0,setting
bl 0xFFFFFF9B24486048 ; pinmux_disable_setting

ldr x8,[x19,#0x28] ; x19=p, x8=[p->state], *reload p->state*
b loop

The *reload p->state* inside the loop for checking is not needed and can
cause possible infinite loop. So READ_ONCE is highly suggested even if
p->state is not randomly changed. And then unnecessary "ldr
x8,[x19,#0x28]" can be removed from above loop code.

**Comments about the locking bug:
currently pinctrl_select_state is an export symbol and don't have
effective reentrance protect design. That's why current infinite loop
issue was observed with customer's multi thread call with
pinctrl_select_state without lock protection. pinctrl_select_state
totally rely on driver module user side to ensure the reentrant state.

Usually the suggested usage from driver side who are using pinctrl would be:
LOCK;
pinctrl_select_state();
gpio pulling;
udelay();
check state;
other hardware behaviors;
UNLOCK;

So the locking bug fix I have told customer side to fix from their own
driver part. Since usually not only a simple pinctrl_select_state call
can finish the hardware state transaction.

I myself also is fine to have a small per pinctrl lock to only protect
the current pinctrl_select_state->pinctrl_commit_state reentrance
issues. Pls any pinctrl maintainer help to comment to suggest or not and
I can prepare a change as well.

Luckily I am the pin control maintainer :D
And I also ha my morning coffee and looked over the patch again.

So tilting the compiler to generate code that is less prone to race
conditions with READ_ONCE() isn't really the solution is it? We need
to introduce a proper lock that stops this from happening if it is
a problem people are facing.

Can you try to make a patch that removes READ_ONCE()
and introduce a lock instead?

Racing is rarely an issue in pin control for reasons explained
in another context here:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-gpio/CACRpkdZ0cnJpYuzU=47-oW-7N_YGMo2vXpKOeXeNi5PhPY7QMA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

...but if people still manage to run into it, we better have a lock
there. Just make sure it is not just an issue with outoftree code,
but a real problem?

The change that changes the code to use the old_state variable
should stay in, it makes the code more readable, it's just the
READ_ONCE() macro which is dubious.
Thx for confirm. I am preparing the new change now. :)
change uploaded link here:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-gpio/20231201152931.31161-1-quic_aiquny@xxxxxxxxxxx/

READ_ONCE can only avoid the possible infinite loop and not crash the whole kernel, while the lock is needed to protect the multi parallel call of pinctrl_commit_state api have a consistent atomic hardware result as well.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

--
Thx and BRs,