Re: [GIT PULL for v6.7] autofs updates

From: Ian Kent
Date: Mon Oct 30 2023 - 22:04:56 EST

On 30/10/23 18:24, Christian Brauner wrote:
On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 03:54:52PM +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
On 27/10/23 22:33, Christian Brauner wrote:
Hey Linus,

/* Summary */
This ports autofs to the new mount api. The patchset has existed for
quite a while but never made it upstream. Ian picked it back up.

This also fixes a bug where fs_param_is_fd() was passed a garbage
param->dirfd but it expected it to be set to the fd that was used to set
param->file otherwise result->uint_32 contains nonsense. So make sure
it's set.

One less filesystem using the old mount api. We're getting there, albeit
rather slow. The last remaining major filesystem that hasn't converted
is btrfs. Patches exist - I even wrote them - but so far they haven't
made it upstream.
Yes, looks like about 39 still to be converted.

Just for information, excluding btrfs, what would you like to see as the

priority for conversion (in case me or any of my colleagues get a chance

to spend a bit more time on it)?
I think one way to prioritize them is by how likely they are to have
(more than a couple) active users.

So recently I've done overlayfs because aside from btrfs that was
probably one of the really actively used filesystems that hadn't yet
been converted. And that did surface some regression

So 9p, fat, devpts, f2fs, zonefs, ext2 are pretty obvious targets.
Judging from experience, the more mount options a filesystem has the
bigger the conversion patch will usually be.

Another way is by function. For example, we expose mount_bdev() which is
basically the legacy version of get_tree_bdev(). And they sort of are
almost copies of each other. So converting all callers to the new mount
api means we can get rid of mount_bdev(). But that's like 25 of the
remaining 39.

But in the end any filesystem that is converted is great.

Thanks Christian, I know Bill was considering spending a bit of time on

this and I may have some cycles myself in the not too distant future. But

things change all too quickly so we'll need to see how it goes, ;)

Ian

I'll