Linux 3.14-rc1 is out

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Feb 02 2014 - 20:12:59 EST

Hey, it was a normal two-week merge window, and it's closed now. As
far as I'm aware, I've pulled everything asked from me (with one
exception, see later) and applied all patches I was meant to apply. If
you feel I overlooked your work, it might be due to an email being
caught as spam (it happened several times lately, but I think I caught
them all) or just plain incompetence on my part (that happens too).

I realize that as a number, 3.14 looks familiar to people, and I had
naming requests related to that. But that's simply not how the
nonsense kernel names work. You can console yourself with the fact
that the name doesn't actually show up anywhere, and nobody really
cares. So any pi-related name you make up will be *quite* as relevant
as the one in the main Makefile, so don't get depressed.

Besides, any self-respecting geek will know pi to twenty decimal
places from their dorky youth, so 3.14 isn't really *that* close, is
it?

Anyway, the one missing pull request is the rename2 system call that I
felt I needed to look at myself, and was also hoping for more
commentary on (I'm looking at you, Al). So I didn't feel I had the
mental throughput to look at it during the merge window, and will take
a more leisurely look the upcoming week. I *might* still pull it
before -rc2, but quite frankly it's more likely to be left pending for
3.15.

Other than that? The stuff that actually got merged? It was a pretty
normal merge window, nothing stands out. The statistics are the normal
two-thirds drivers, with the rest being a mix of architecture updates
(ARM dominates, but there's powerpc, x86, mips. s390, and even ia64
shows up with stale xen code removal too) and misc. Where misc is core
kernel, mm, networking, tooling etc etc.

I'm attaching my merge-log, since (as usual) the actual merge window
shortlog is much too long to bother with for general consumption. And
again, note that my merge-log is about who was the submaintainer that
sent me the pull request, not about who necessarily wrote the code.
You need to go to the full git logs to see that level of detail.

Linus

---
Al Viro (2):
vfs updates
vfs fixes

Alex Williamson (1):
vfio update

Andrew Morton (5):
first patch-bomb
second patch-bomb
misc updates
random fixes
misc fixes

Artem Bityutskiy (1):
ubifs updates

Ben Herrenschmidt (3):
powerpc mremap fix
powerpc updates
more powerpc bits

Ben Myers (2):
xfs update
second xfs update

Bjorn Helgaas (1):
PCI updates

Boaz Harrosh (1):
exofs and ore fixes

Borislav Petkov (1):
EDAC updates

Brian Norris (1):
MTD updates

Bruce Fields (1):
nfsd updates

Bryan Wu (1):
LED subsystem update

Catalin Marinas (1):
ARM64 updates

Chris Ball (1):
MMC updates

Chris Mason (1):
btrfs updates

Chris Zankel (1):
Xtensa patches

Corey Minyard (1):
ipmi fixes

Dave Airlie (1):
drm updates

David Kleikamp (1):
jfs fix

David Miller (4):
networking updates
IDE fixes
sparc update
networking fixes

David Teigland (1):
dlm update

Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov (1):
battery updates

Dmitry Torokhov (1):
input subsystem updates

Eric Biederman (1):
user namespaces work

Eric Paris (1):
audit update

Eric Van Hensbergen (1):
9p changes

Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
m68k updates

Greg KH (7):
char/misc driver patches
driver core / sysfs patches
staging driver tree changes
tty/serial driver updates
USB updates
serial fixes
rtl8812ae staging wireless driver

Guenter Roeck (1):
hwmon updates

Helge Deller (1):
parisc updates

Herbert Xu (1):
crypto update

Ingo Molnar (25):
core debug changes
core locking changes
RCU updates
strong stackprotector support
IRQ changes
perf updates
scheduler changes
timer changes
x86/apic changes
x86/asm changes
x86/build changes
x86 cleanups
x86 TLB detection update
x86 EFI changes
Intel MID updates
x86 microcode loader updates
x86 mm changes
Intel SoC changes
x86 RAS changes
leftover x86 fixes
scheduler fixes
perf fixes
core debug changes
scheduler fixes
timer/dynticks updates

Jaegeuk Kim (1):
f2fs updates

James Bottomley (1):
SCSI updates

James Hogan (1):
Metag architecture changes

James Morris (1):
security layer updates

Jan Kara (2):
UDF & jbd fixes
fanotify use-after-free fixes

Jean Delvare (2):
hwmon updates
hwmon kconfig fixes

Jens Axboe (2):
core block IO changes
block IO driver changes

Jesper Nilsson (2):
cris changes
cris fix

Jiri Kosina (2):
HID updates
trivial tree updates

Joerg Roedel (1):
IOMMU Updates

Jonas Bonn (1):
OpenRISC updates

Kevin Hilman (1):
ARM SoC late changes

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk (3):
Xen updates
swiotlb bug-fixes
Xen bugfixes

Lee Jones (1):
MFD changes

Len Brown (1):
turbostat updates

Linus Walleij (2):
GPIO tree bulk changes
bulk pin control changes

Mark Brown (3):
regmap updates
regulator updates
spi updates

Martin Schwidefsky (2):
s390 updates
s390 patches

Matt Turner (1):
alpha updates

Matthew Garrett (1):
x86 platform drivers update

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (1):
media updates

Michal Marek (3):
kbuild changes
__TIME__/__DATE__ removal
misc kbuild changes

Michal Simek (1):
microblaze patches

Mike Snitzer (1):
device-mapper changes

Mike Turquette (2):
clk framework changes
more clock framework changes

Miklos Szeredi (1):
fuse update

Neil Brown (1):
md updates

Nicholas Bellinger (1):
SCSI target updates

Olof Johansson (8):
ARM SoC non-critical fixes
ARM SoC cleanups
ARM SoC platform changes
ARM SoC DT updates
ARM SoC board updates
ARM driver updates
chrome platform cleanups and improvements
ARM SoC fixes

Paolo Bonzini (2):
KVM updates
more KVM updates

Pekka Enberg (1):
SLAB changes

Peter Anvin (7):
x86 kernel address space randomization support
x86 cpufeature and mpx updates
x32 uapi changes
more x32 uabi type fixes
intel MID cleanups
x86 build bits
x86 asmlinkage (LTO) changes

Rafael Wysocki (2):
ACPI and power management updates
ACPI and power management fixes and cleanups

Ralf Baechle (1):
MIPS updates

Richard Weinberger (1):
UML changes