Re: Propose for LINUX kernel and PERL

From: Al Viro
Date: Sun Jan 05 2014 - 20:01:46 EST

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 06:43:07PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> > Since Perl is Turing complete you can run the Linux kernel inside
> > Perl. Although Perl doesn't run in kernel mode ATM, I don't see why
> > I can't be ported to be a LKM, maybe with RPC to glibc. You could
> > also have Perl running as user mode driver or some kind daemon with
> > calls from a kernel driver to the user space daemon Perl. You can
> > use Perl version 5 or 6.
>
> My favorite suggestion, going back several decades to the early 90's,
> was those who suggested porting BSD 4.3 to Emacs LISP, so that you
> could run your entire system under GNU Emacs. :-)

ISAGN: drivers/staging/vi[1]. As a TTY line discipline. Surely once that
thing is in, somebody will come up with Perl interpreter in vi macros.
And once _that_ is done, the rest will be easy...

[1] or drivers/staging/sam, for extra credits - as far as macros go,
it'd be more convenient implementation platform...