Re: Question about /proc/uptime

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Thu Jan 02 2014 - 03:28:35 EST

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 15:21:00 -0600
Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/01/14 06:41, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 22:17:39 -0600
> > Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Is there an obvious way to query the non-suspend uptime from userspace?
> >
> > clock_gettime with CLOCK_MONOTONIC gives you the uptime minus without the
> > suspend time.
>
> Given that the clock_gettime man page says:
>
> CLOCK_MONOTONIC
> Clock that cannot be set and represents monotonic time since
> some unspecified starting point.
>
> Can I rely on it _continuing_ to do so in future, and if so should the
> man page be clarified?

Good point. CLOCK_MONOTONIC is implemented in a specific way now and I
doubt that this will change any time soon, but you have no guarantee that
it will keep the property 'monotonic-time = uptime - suspend-time'.
You can not use the values in /proc/stat either as you can set any CPU
offline, which means that no CPU line contains all ticks since boot.

Without the CLOCK_MONOTONIC option I do not see a way how to get the
non-suspend uptime from user space.

--
blue skies,
Martin.