Re: [GIT PULL, RFC] Full dynticks, CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL feature

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 05 2013 - 16:33:55 EST

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please consider pulling the latest timers-nohz-for-linus git tree from:

Ok, it seems to work for me, so pulled.

However, by "work for me" I mean "doesn't actually seem to make any
difference for me". Maybe I'm odd, but the most common situation is
either a fairly idle machine (in which case the old NOHZ did fine) or
a fairly over-crowded one when I'm running something sufficiently
threaded (in which case the new NOHZ_FULL doesn't do anything either).

So I really hope the "cpu has more than one running thread" case is
getting a lot of attention. Not for 3.10, but right now it seems to
still result in the same old 1kHz timer interrupts..

So I haven't actually found a real load where any of this makes a
noticeable *difference*.

Linus