Re: [tip:core/locking] x86/smp: Move waiting on contended ticketlock out of line

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Feb 27 2013 - 16:56:10 EST

On 02/27/2013 03:18 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If we have two classes of spinlocks, I suspect we would be better
off making those high-demand spinlocks MCS or LCH locks, which have
the property that having N+1 CPUs contend on the lock will never
result in slower aggregate throughput than having N CPUs contend.

I doubt that.

The fancy "no slowdown" locks almost never work in practice. They
scale well by performing really badly for the normal case, either
needing separate allocations or having memory ordering problems
requiring multiple locked cycles.

The relative costs of atomic operations, cache line acquisition, and
other things has shifted over time. On the very latest systems, the
cost of cache line acquisition appears to dominate over the cost of
atomic operations.

Michel's results from last month show that MCS has essentially the same
performance for the single thread (uncontended) situation, on some
systems a degradation for 2 and 3 thread performance, in a tight micro
test, and improved performance when the contention involves 3 or more
CPUs.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1427417

A spinlock basically needs to have a fast-case that is a single locked
instruction, and all the clever ones tend to fail that simple test.

With the cost of a cache line acquisition outweighing the cost of an
atomic operation, for how much longer will this remain true?

Michel's results suggest that on Sandybridge this no longer seems
to hold. The cost of the atomic operation on unlock appears to have
more than paid for itself by avoiding extraneous cache line bouncing,
and the cost of cache line acquisition. Even with only two CPUs
contending on the lock...

I can certainly take profiles of various workloads, but there is
absolutely no guarantee that I will see the same bottlenecks that
eg. the people at HP have seen. The largest test system I currently
have access to has 40 cores, vs. the 80 cores in the (much more
interesting) HP results I pasted.

Would you also be interested in performance numbers (and profiles)
of a kernel that has bottleneck spinlocks replaced with MCS locks?

MCS locks don't even work, last time I saw. They need that extra lock
holder allocation, which forces people to have different calling
conventions, and is just a pain. Or am I confusing them with something
else?

Nope, those are the MCS locks alright.

They might work for the special cases like the sleeping locks, which
have one or two places that take and release the lock, but not for the
generic spinlock.

I am certainly not advocating that all spinlocks be replaced with
harder to use locks. On the other hand, we have to realize that
Linux users do not have the luxury to upgrade their kernel to the
latest upstream on whenever they run into a performance issue, so
it would be good to make Linux more robust against scalability
issues.

So before even trying anything fancy, just basic profiles would be
good to see which lock it is. Many of the really bad slowdowns are
actually about the timing details of the sleeping locks (do *not*
enable lock debugging etc for profiling, you want the mutex spinning
code to be active, for example).

No argument there, but that does in no way negate the need for
some performance robustness.

--
All rights reversed