Re: Initial report on F2FS filesystem performance

From: Sooman Jeong
Date: Mon Oct 22 2012 - 07:36:40 EST

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 12:26:38 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
>Hi!

>>> Hmm, flashes are actually optimized for VFAT, right? Can you compare
>>> against that?
>>>

>> Do you mean SD-cards? Because, as I can understand, "raw" flash (I mean NAND chip)
>> hasn't any special filesystem-related optimization. Moreover, as I know, this optimization
>> takes place in the begin of device (because FAT metadata is placed in the volume's begin).
>> But if you have several partition on a device then you haven't any optimizations for second
>> and next FAT partitions. So, in-place modified metadata of f2fs is placed in the begin of
>> the volume also.
>>
>>Or, maybe, do you mean some another special optimization for VFAT?
>>

>I meant SD-card, sorry. Compare factory-formatted VFAT on SD card with
>f2fs running on the same partition.
>
> Pavel
>--
>(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
>(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

Hi,

As requested, I compared performance of VFAT with f2fs on SD card.
Following is summary of the measurement.

VFAT shows better performance on both random write+fsync and buffered-sequential write than f2fs.
However, on buffered-random and sequential write+fsync, f2fs still exhibits better performance
than other filesystems.

* buffered write (1GB file), 4KByte write
Desktop PC Galaxy-S3
sequential (MB/s) random (IOPS) sequential (MB/s) random (IOPS)
EXT4 7.1 1073 6.7 1073
NILFS2 6.8 1462 4.0 1272
F2FS 10.6 2675 6.9 1682
VFAT 7.3 1108 7.3 1075

* write + fsync (100MB file), 4KByte write
Desktop PC Galaxy-S3
sequential (KB/s) random (IOPS) sequential (KB/s) random (IOPS)
EXT4 511.8 125 383.4 119
NILFS2 545.2 112 356.7 72
F2FS 1057.9 240 772.3 184
VFAT 356.5 260 474.4 373

* buffered read (1GB file), 4KByte read
Desktop PC Galaxy-S3
sequential (MB/s) random (IOPS) sequential (MB/s) random (IOPS)
EXT4 16.4 1568 9.6 1395
NILFS2 16.6 1609 9.6 1440
F2FS 16.8 1643 9.7 1499
VFAT 16.6 1592 9.6 1501
* iozone command : iozone -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 -f /mnt/ext/test.txt -s 1G -r 4k -+n -e -U /mnt/ext

Sooman Jeong