Re: kernel BUG at fs/buffer.c:3205 (stable 3.5.3)

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Mon Oct 15 2012 - 04:47:09 EST

Am 14.10.2012 14:27, schrieb Alan Cox:
The people which are responsible that the chips for "consumer"-HW and
laptops got their (already included) ECC functionality disabled should
get hit with Googles (now 3y old) study on that topic all the day.
Leaving customers in danger by not offering them at least the
possibility to use ECC RAM is just stupid.

For the amount of RAM in devices now days then yes probably a good idea.
Adding to the problem is that there is an active market in fake brandname
DIMMs.

My solution is now that I will add memtest=1 to all my own Linux systems which don't have ECC (unfortunatley currently almost all). That doesn't cost that much time at startup and will give me at least a small chance to spot those extremely hard to find problems.

Regards,

Alexander