Re: [Q] Default SLAB allocator

From: Ezequiel Garcia
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 08:07:03 EST

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> iirc the main performance reasons for slab over slub have mostly
>>> disappeared, so in theory slab could be finally deprecated now.
>>>

>> SLUB is a non-starter for us and incurs a >10% performance degradation in
>> netperf TCP_RR.

Where are you seeing that?

Notice that many defconfigs are for embedded devices,
and many of them say "use SLAB"; I wonder if that's right.

Is there any intention to replace SLAB by SLUB?
In that case it could make sense to change defconfigs, although
it wouldn't be based on any actual tests.

Ezequiel