Re: [GIT PULL] Disintegrate UAPI for media

From: David Howells
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 07:26:27 EST

Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm... last year, it was decided that we would be putting the DVB av7110-only
> API files on a separate place, as the API there conflicts with V4L/alsa APIs
> and are used only by one upstream driver (there were two drivers using them,
> at that time). As you might notice, av7110 hardware is really old, not
> manufactured anymore since maybe 10 years ago, and it is an unmaintained
> driver.
>
> Some developers complained, arguing that moving it to a separate file would
> be breaking the compilation on existing tools (they're basically concerned
> with it due to out-of-tree drivers - mostly propietary ones, that use this
> API).

As long as they're relying on the -I flags provided by the build tree, that
oughtn't to be a problem. If they're doing their own -I flags, they'll need
to add -I include/uapi too (_after_ -I include).

> Now that we're moving everything, it does make sense to do that, moving
> dvb/(audio|osd|video).h to someplace else (maybe linux/dvb/av7110.h or
> linux/dvb/legacy/*.h).

Do you want me to do anything? I should be able to incorporate a patch prior
to the disintegration of linux/dvb/ if you have one.

David