Re: [RFC] vmevent: Implement pressure attribute

From: John Stultz
Date: Mon Oct 08 2012 - 21:43:07 EST

On 10/08/2012 02:46 AM, Mel Gorman wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 01:14:17AM -0700, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
And here we just try to let userland to assist, userland can tell "oh,
don't bother with swapping or draining caches, I can just free some
memory".

Quite interesting, this also very much resembles volatile mmap ranges
(i.e. the work that John Stultz is leading in parallel).

Agreed. I haven't been paying close attention to those patches but it
seems to me that one possiblity is that a listener for a vmevent would
set volatile ranges in response.

I don't have too much to comment on the rest of this mail, but just wanted to pipe in here, as the volatile ranges have caused some confusion.

While your suggestion would be possible, with volatile ranges, I've been promoting a more hands off-approach from the application perspective, where the application always would mark data that could be regenerated as volatile, unmarking it when accessing it.

This way the application doesn't need to be responsive to memory pressure, the kernel just takes what it needs from what the application made available.

Only when the application needs the data again, would it mark it non-volatile (or alternatively with the new SIGBUS semantics, access the purged volatile data and catch a SIGBUS), find the data was purged and regenerate it.

That said, hybrid approaches like you suggested would be possible, but at a certain point, if we're waiting for a notification to take action, it might be better just to directly free that memory, rather then just setting it as volatile, and leaving it to the kernel then reclaim it for you.

thanks
-john