Re: iwl3945: order 5 allocation during ifconfig up; vm problem?

From: Stanislaw Gruszka
Date: Mon Oct 08 2012 - 11:40:39 EST

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 02:08:50PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Fri 2012-10-05 10:37:00, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:

> > Hmm, I looked at iwl3945 code and looks loading firmware in chunks is
> > nothing that can be easily done. 3945 bootstrap code expect that runtime
> > ucode will be placed in physically continue memory, and there are no
> > separate instructions for copy and for execute, just one to perform both
> > those actions. Maybe loading firmware in chunks can be done using
> > undocumented features of the device, but I'm eager to do this.
>
> Just allocate memory during boot?

On driver I can reserve memory during module load, but also this isn't
something I prefer to do.

> > Pavel, do you still can reproduce this problem on released 3.6 ?
>
> It happened again yesterday on 3.6.0-rc6+. I don't think mm changed
> between -rc6 and final...

Could you check __GFP_REPEAT oneline patch posted previously ?
And if that fail again, provide full dmesg (on your previous messages
there is vmap() failure, which I do not understand, where it come
from) ?

Thanks
Stanislaw