Re: perf with precise attribute kills all KVM based VMs

From: David Ahern
Date: Sun Jul 15 2012 - 09:00:10 EST

On 7/15/12 2:07 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 07/12/2012 07:06 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

Note the :pH this time.
I am not sure what perf kvm does with :pH modifier, but H modifier does
not make sense with perf kvm and should be reported as an error by perf tool.

Maybe it should refer to the guest vs. the nested guest...

:H = host mode; you are thinking of :h for hypervisor mode. From perf-list documentation:

"Modifiers allow the user to restrict when events are
counted with 'u' for user-space, 'k' for kernel, 'h' for hypervisor.
Additional modifiers are 'G' for guest counting (in KVM guests) and 'H'
for host counting (not in KVM guests)."

Well that's a horrible UI but we do need some way to distinguish among
the two. Samples from the nested guest's kernel will make no sense when
looking at the guest kernel. I guess we should default to exclude
nested guest mode.

I catch a return flight in a couple of hours. I will send a summary email tonight to make sure we are on the same page with the problem, uses cases and patches.

David