Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

From: david
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 18:47:09 EST

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Jesper Juhl wrote:

We are going to end up with a million+ (or something like that) "config
<RANDOM_FOO_DISTRO>" options that are going to have to be kept up-to-date
regularly...
Do we really want that?
Maybe we do, maybe we don't - I'm not saying anything either way - just
pointing it out.

I like the general idea - let a user pick the "make my distro work" option
and then tweak from there. But, with hundreds (thousands?) of distroes out
there, is it realy doable? Will we be able to keep things updated
properly?

this needs to be more like 'make install' where the build system doesn't have specifics for every distro, but instead refrences a separate file that's provided in the same place by every distro, ideally separate from the kernel itself.

David Lang