Re: [net-next RFC V5 0/5] Multiqueue virtio-net

From: Rick Jones
Date: Mon Jul 09 2012 - 12:46:51 EST

On 07/08/2012 08:23 PM, Jason Wang wrote:
On 07/07/2012 12:23 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
On 07/06/2012 12:42 AM, Jason Wang wrote:
Which mechanism to address skew error? The netperf manual describes
more than one:

This mechanism is missed in my test, I would add them to my test scripts.

http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/netperf.html#Using-Netperf-to-Measure-Aggregate-Performance

Personally, my preference these days is to use the "demo mode" method
of aggregate results as it can be rather faster than (ab)using the
confidence intervals mechanism, which I suspect may not really scale
all that well to large numbers of concurrent netperfs.

During my test, the confidence interval would even hard to achieved in
RR test when I pin vhost/vcpus in the processors, so I didn't use it.

When running aggregate netperfs, *something* has to be done to address the prospect of skew error. Otherwise the results are suspect.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones