Re: drivers: Probable misuses of ||

From: Mark Brown
Date: Mon May 07 2012 - 12:34:51 EST

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 09:20:34AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 09:36 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > with no analysis

> You did elide the "Likely the || should be &&" preface.

By analysis I meant something like "...because X".

> > Compare this with the reports from people like Julia Lawall, for example
> > - they tend to be very clear. Even simply adding "...as with || they
> > will always be true" would've helped.

> I think it's a pretty basic logic error that most all
> lkml readers should be able to identify most of the time.

"Can spot" and "will spot" are two different things; speaking as someone
on the receiving end of lots of mails it does make a big difference.
Cues in the human written text which show someone thought about the
problem help a lot with catching attention - the more effort it takes to
understand a mail the more likely it is to get skipped, especially if
there's no patch.