Re: Boot failure since 3.3-rc?

From: Sune Mølgaard
Date: Sat May 05 2012 - 04:55:10 EST

Tilman Schmidt wrote:
Am 21.04.2012 23:22, schrieb Sune Mølgaard:
Need to read up on netconsole as it's a headless machine. Would
netconsole work through a switch, or would I need to find a cross-over
cable?

Netconsole works fine through a switch.

Thank you. If, as per my last post, the offending commit is instead about i387, my guess would be that the kernel hangs immediately, way before init'ing the NIC.

The machine is rather old, but if it has sufficient NVRAM, is there a way to log failures (perhaps via grub) to there, and then retrieve them when booting a known good kernel?

Best,

Sune

--
Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better.
- G. W. Bush