Re: proper struct device selection for dev_printk()

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu May 03 2012 - 13:21:43 EST

On Thu, 3 May 2012, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> [...]
> > Hi Kay,
> >
> > I've been working on removing the old err() and dbg() functions in usb.h
> > that have been there since the 2.2 kernel and replace them with calls to
> > dev_err() and dev_dbg(), as that's what we want to have, especially with
> > your dev_printk() reworks.
> >
> > In some recent changes in the input drivers, Dmitry noted that I was
> > picking the "wrong" struct device to pass to these functions. I was
> > using the "farthest down the tree" struct device that I could get to, in
> > the USB input driver's case, the struct device for the input device, a
> > "class" device.
> >
> > But that seems to produce an output that is less than helpful. Dmitry
> > used this as an example output to show this for a serio device:
> > dev_warn(&input_dev->dev, "warning using input device\n");
> > dev_warn(&serio->dev, "warning using parent serio device\n");
> >
> > Produces:
> > [ 1.903608] input input6: warning using input device
> > [ 1.903612] psmouse serio1: warning using parent serio device
> >
> > Here it seems that the "one up from the lowest struct device" works
> > best.
> >
> > So I tried this out with a usb to serial device, and got the following
> > results. With the code:
> > dev_err(&port->dev, "dev_err port->dev output\n");
> > dev_err(&serial->dev->dev, "dev_err serial->dev->dev output\n");
> > dev_err(&serial->interface->dev, "dev_err serial->interface->dev output\n");
> > dev_err(port->port.tty->dev, "dev_err port->port.tty->dev output\n");
> >
> > I get:
> > [ 68.519639] pl2303 ttyUSB0: dev_err port->dev output
> > [ 68.519645] usb 2-1.2: dev_err serial->dev->dev output
> > [ 68.519649] pl2303 2-1.2:1.0: dev_err serial->interface->dev output
> > [ 68.519653] tty ttyUSB0: dev_err port->port.tty->dev output
> >
> > All of these "describe" the device being operated on in one fashion or
> > the other, as they are struct devices that are easily accessable from
> > the driver.
> >
> > My question is, what is the "best" thing to be doing here?
> >
> > I still think the "lowest" struct device would be best (in this case,
> > the last line above from the port->port.tty->dev pointer), but what do
> > you think is best for userspace to have here?
>
> My $.02:
>
> In general, drivers should emit messages for the devices they bind to.
> This way driver like psmouse (which is serio subsystem driver) will emit
> messages using serio port it is bound (or attempting to bind to):
>
> [ 1.903612] psmouse serio1: warning using parent serio device
>
> and drivers like wacom which bind to a USB interface will emit messages
> using USB intraface, like:
>
> [ 1.234567] wacom 2-1.2:1.0: some error happened
>
> The benefit of using the device we are binding to is that it allows us
> to crearly identify the driver that emits the error and we are using the
> same device throughout (leaf device might not have been created yet and
> we already need to emit an error or a warning).

That's just what I was going to say.

So for example, in the USB-serial example, the

usb 2-1.2: dev_err serial->dev->dev output

line isn't specific enough because it doesn't say which interface it
applies to. The

tty ttyUSB0: dev_err port->port.tty->dev output

line is appropriate for a message emanating from the tty core, but not
from a usb-serial driver.

As for the other two:

pl2303 ttyUSB0: dev_err port->dev output
pl2303 2-1.2:1.0: dev_err serial->interface->dev output

either one would be okay. You could choose between them depending on
what part of the driver is involved. A part that handles the tty
functions would use the first and a part that handles the USB
communication would use the second.

Alan Stern