arcnet: protocol is buggy messages in 3.0 kernel, not in 2.33 kernel

From: Rob Janssen
Date: Thu May 03 2012 - 09:25:53 EST

Hello all

Since we've moved from the 2.33 kernel to the 3.0 kernel, we see the
following kernel messages in dmesg:

protocol 001a is buggy, dev arc0 skb=c702e2f4

The device involved is an arcnet device.
The warning is logged by dev.c, see the following code snippet:

if (skb_network_header(skb2) < skb2->data ||
skb2->network_header > skb2->tail) {
if (net_ratelimit())
printk(KERN_CRIT "protocol %04x is "
"buggy, dev %s skb=%04x\n",
ntohs(skb2->protocol),
dev->name,
skb_network_header(skb2));
skb_reset_network_header(skb2);
}
I added some logging, and it appears that skb2->network_header is
placed in memory beyond skb2->tail (the second check).

Does anyone have what causes this message in the 3.0 kernel and/or how
to fix this ?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Janssen