Re: [GIT pull] x86 vdso updates

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Sun May 29 2011 - 14:07:48 EST

Andrew Lutomirski writes:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Andrew Lutomirski writes:
> >  > On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  > > Ingo Molnar writes:
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > * Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  > >  > > > 3. Add int 0xcc and use it from vgettimeofday.  It will SIGSEGV if
> >  > >  > > > called from a user address (so it has no risk of ever becoming ABI)
> >  > >  > > > and it will do gettimeofday if called from the right address.  (I like
> >  > > ...
> >  > >  > > Make it a real syscall but with extra constraints.  It would have the
> >  > >  > > same calling convention as the syscall instruction, but it would turn
> >  > >  > > into SIGKILL if the calling address isn't in the VSYSCALL page
> >  > >
> >  > > This will make things difficult for user-space dynamic binary instrumentation
> >  > > applications, since these normally execute generated code at different
> >  > > addresses than the original code.
> >  > >
> >  > > Is there a safe fallback for this particular vsyscall?
> >  >
> >  > All of the vsyscalls have vDSO versions that work like any other code.
> >
> > Easiest would be if we can simply map int $0xcc with rAX==FOO to syscall or
> > int 0x80 with rAX==BAR.
>
> Yes and no.
>
> With the code I just posted (and am fixing up now) that will work.
> But if we want to replace the entire vsyscall page with three int 0xcc
> and 4090 int3 instructions, then we can't look at eax because it won't
> contain anything meaningful.

I can relatively easily also consider the original application rIP
when decoding and translating these instructions.

> --Andy
>

> > We currently don't even know about the vDSO, it's all just user-space code
> > to us.
> >
> >  > Alternatively, if the dynamic instrumentation code knew about
> >  > vsyscalls, it could just not instrument addresses in the vsyscall
> >  > page.
> >
> > Not instrumenting code is not an option, unless we can prove that the
> > code in question has no relevant side-effects or unexpected control-flow.
> > (Where "side-effects" relate both to the integrity of the instrumentation
> > engine and the application-specific payload it's attaching to the code.)
>
> Calls to 0xffffffffff600000, 0xffffffffff600400, and
> 0xffffffffff600800 are syscalls, as an (unfortunate) part of the ABI.
>

> >  > What existing applications would get broken?
> >
> > My concern is ThreadSpotter, but any user-space dynamic binary instrumentation
> > engine that instruments down to the raw kernel interface (syscall/sysenter/int
> > instructions) would have a problem with syscalls that only work at specific
> > addresses.
>
> I'll look.
>

> > Anyway, if I can map that vsyscall to a plain proper syscall, then I'm OK.
>
> All three vsyscalls can be replaced with real syscalls without side
> effects. Would it be possible to teach the instrumentation code to
> deal with that?

Yes, I just need to know how to identify them and what their equivalents are.
E.g., an int3 at <known address> becomes syscall rAX=<some constant>.

Sounds like this change will be manageable after all. Thanks.

/Mikael