Re: [GIT] kbuild: kconfig changes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 22:10:10 EST

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Justin P. Mattock
<justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With what I submitted I did not test make oldconfig, only make menuconfig
> due to gcc 4.6.0 giving me a slew of warnings.
> From looking at make oldconfig I do see a more detailed explanation of what
> each option is(last I remember it was more of a line with y/n)but then again
> you could be seeing something completly different.

Just test what I described: do a "make oldconfig" (do it twice, if
the first one needs to actually get some input). Do it on 2.6.35, and
then on the current tree. Look at the _huge_ difference in output.

> Now if this is with what I submitted then I'll have a look at it and see if I can get this fixed.

I just did a quick git bisect. It's introduced by commit 4062f1a4c030
("kconfig: use long options in conf") by Sam Ravnborg. Apparently that
thing is totally buggy, and doesn't just change the option names, but
actively breaks them.

Linus