Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: david
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 20:18:29 EST

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Brian Swetland wrote:

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
so what would wake a phone up from suspend where the phone should go back to
sleep in under a second?

Here are some real-world examples from shipped android devices:
- battery gauging happens every 10 minutes, need to wake long enough
to chatter with the 1w interface and make sure the battery is not
exploding
- always on mail/im/calendar/etc sync often has network events that
happen every 5-10 minutes which cause devices to briefly wake up and
return to sleep
- gps tracker app might wake every couple minutes or every n gps
events to log location
- low power audio subsystems can wake you up every 1-4 seconds (pcm)
or 1-4 minutes (mp3) to fetch more data

Interesting!

So for an mp3 playback, does an Android suspend between data fetches?

It can if the latency is long enough (which is why I point out low
power audio which is usually high latency). For low latency (system
sounds, etc) 10-25ms between buffers it's not practical to fully
suspend but we will go to the lowest power state in idle if possible.

the playback is able to continue even with all the clocks stopped? that surprises me. I would hav expected it to be able to sleep while playing audio, but not do a full suspend.

David Lang