Re: [GIT] kbuild: kconfig changes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 19:40:49 EST

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> this is the kconfig part of kbuild. We have four new *config targets:
> * oldnoconfig: set all new options to 'n'
> * listnewconfig: list all unset config options
> * alldefconfig: set all options to their defaults specified in Kconfig
> files
> * savedefconfig: write a defconfig file with only the differences from
> an alldefconfig (aka minimal defconfig)
>
> Kconfig also warns when a select statement selects a symbol with unmet
> dependencies (which typically results in a broken config). Li Zefan did
> quite some usability fixes to the visual config interfaces.

Hmm. This seems to make "make oldconfig" a _lot_ more verbose than it
used to be. In a very annoying way.

I'm used to this (v2.6.35 "make oldconfig" with no changes):

[torvalds@i5 linux]$ make oldconfig
scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
[torvalds@i5 linux]$

but now it prints _everything_. The old "oldconfig" only printed
things out when there was something to be asked about.

This is a regression.

Linus