lockdep and oops_in_progress

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 02:21:21 EST

Hi guys,

I was debugging a wierd issue with suspend/resume and fbcon/X with
some recent work Jesse and myself did to try and make sure a pinned
fbcon always gets the text on it with a panic or oops occurs.

It does this by testing the oops_in_progress flag, however once any
lockdep issue occurs it looks to me that we leave this flag set
forever, in most places I can see in oops code etc they call
bust_spinlocks(1) then bust_spinlocks(0) to balance the
oops_in_progress value, but lockdep never seems to reset it.

I'm wondering if there is an inherent reason for this or if I whip up
a patch to reset once the lockdep is printed if this would cause any
issues?

Dave.