Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 - 16:54:32 EST

* Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers
> <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The real issue here, IMHO, is that Perf has tied gory ring buffer implementation
> > details to the userspace perf ABI, and there is now strong unwillingness from
> > Perf developers to break this ABI.
>
> The thing is - I think my outlined buffer fragmentation model would
> work fine with the perf ABI too. Exactly because there is no deep
> structure, just the same "stream of small events" both from a kernel
> and a user model standpoint. Sure, the stream would now contain a new
> event type, but that's trivial. It would still be _entirely_
> reasonable to have the actual data in the exact same ring buffer,
> including the whole mmap'ed area.

Yes, indeed. Your scheme (using a "cookie" to identify multiple related events,
each of them being the "continuation" of the previous event with the same
cookie) would work on top of basically all ring buffers implementations. We
already use something similar to follow socket buffers and block device buffers
across the kernel in LTTng.

> Of course, when user space actually parses it, user space would have
> to eventually defragment the event by allocating a new area and
> copying the fragments together in the right order, but that's pretty
> trivial to do. It certainly doesn't affect the current mmap'ed
> interface in the least.
>
> Now, whether the perf people feel they want that kind of
> functionality, I don't know. It's possible that they simply do not
> want to handle events that are complex enough that they would have
> arbitrary size.

I agree. Although I think the scheme you propose can sit on top of the ring
buffer and does not necessarily need to be at the bottom layer. The sub-buffer
disagreement Peter and I have is related to the ring buffer core.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers