Re: [RFC] ext4: Don't send extra barrier during fsync if there areno dirty pages.

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Tue Aug 03 2010 - 09:25:02 EST

On 06/30/2010 03:48 PM, tytso@xxxxxxx wrote:

I wonder if it's worthwhile to think about a new system call which
allows users to provide an array of fd's which are collectively should
be fsync'ed out at the same time. Otherwise, we end up issuing
multiple barrier operations in cases where the application needs to
do:

fsync(control_fd);
fsync(data_fd);

The system call exists, it's called io_submit().