Re: Boot-time dynamic debugging?

From: Jason Baron
Date: Mon Aug 02 2010 - 09:47:52 EST

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 03:10:40PM +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Commit 346e15beb5343c2eb8216d820f2ed8f150822b08 ("driver core: basic
> infrastructure for per-module dynamic debug messages") removed
> "dynamic_printk" kernel parameter from the dynamic debugging subsystem
> (and forgot to update Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt). How can I
> use the new subsystem for enabling boot-time dev_dbg() calls for
> non-modular kernels?
>
> Pekka

Hi Pekka,

Right now, you can not enable them dynamically from the boot command
line (only via the debugfs file). However, Thomas Renninger, has posted
a series to add back the boot-time functionality, see:

Subject: [patch 0/3] Dynamic Debug providing early boot debug messages via
boot parameter

So I intend to queue those up for 2.6.36, and also update the
documentation.

thanks,

-Jason