Re: [linux-pm] Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Sun Aug 01 2010 - 20:30:00 EST

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 03:38:34PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > "power-aware" is _not_ a good
>
> Strongly disagree. The whole point is that they
> ARE VERY MUCH AWARE and interact with a power
> policy to achieve goals.
>
> Like refusing to power down active subsystems,
> or actively powering down inactive ones.
> Q.E.D. ... "aware".

My initial thoughts was along the same lines as yours, but after thinking
about it, the distinction between an application that controls its own
behavior ("power-aware application") and an application that controls the
system's behavior ("PM-driving application") seemed well worth its weight.

Thanx, Paul