Re: High cpu temperature with 2.6.32, bisection shows commit 69d258 (fwd)

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 23:14:00 EST

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:07:14 -0800
Ray Lee <ray-lk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Arjan van de Ven
> <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > basically it appears that your machine, when the kernel asks for C2,
> > exits C2 immediately again.
> >
> > The old algorithm somehow caught this and stopped asking for C2
> > most of the time; the new algorithm doesn't see any activity and
> > asks for C2 again.
>
> This change of behavior will certainly bite more users out there. Is
> there any way we can detect the systems that aren't honoring the C2
> request and limit back to C1?

it's not very likely that there are many such systems; it takes work to
break C2....
so far in 6 months 2 systems showed up, and this includes a fedora
release.

on the other hand, it's not so easy to detect the situation; exiting c2
quickly can also happen in normal use, so we'd have to have some sort of
threshold, which will be fragile by itself.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org