Re: Patch "USB: Work around BIOS bugs by quiescing USB controllers earlier" causes MCEs

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 15:28:50 EST

Mikael Pettersson writes:
> Nick Piggin writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Your patch db8be50c4307dac2b37305fc59c8dc0f978d09ea is causing my
> > ia64 Altix system to die with an MCE in early boot.
>
> The same commit has been confirmed by two people on the ARM list
> to cause boot failures on two different Intel XScale IOP machines.
> The machines have serial consoles, but only show
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done. Booting the kernel.
>
> before they hang.

I've just investigated this on one of my ARM boxes that this commit kills.

The commit changed quirk_usb_early_handoff to be a FIXUP_HEADER, which
caused it to be invoked during the early stages of the platform's PCI
init (arch/arm/kernel/bios32.c). quirk_usb_handoff_uhci() gets a bogus
I/O base address, passes that down to uhci_reset_hc(), causing a kernel
page fault in the first "outw(UHCI_USBCMD_HCRESET, base + UHCI_USBCMD);",
causing the kernel to oops.

(All this occurs before the serial console works, so I had to add a
platform-specific puts() and lots of tracing statements.)

Changing this quirk back to a FIXUP_FINAL allows the platform's PCI
init to complete. Later on the generic pci_init() calls the quirk,
which now gets the correct I/O base address, and the outw()s in
uhci_reset_hc() don't fail.