Re: Temperature above threshold loop with 2.6.31.1

From: Frans Pop
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 11:03:40 EST

Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed the latest 2.6.31.1 kernel on my
> machine here and I think I found a small bug. Shortly after boot I
> start to receive messages like
>
> CPU0: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events =
> 21672)
[...]
> More importantly, I get approximately 100,000 of these messages per
> minute and the machine is completely unusable. All of these are for
> CPU0 - at least all the ones that get written to /var/log/messages.
>
> 1,666 notifications a second seems a little on the 'too frequent' side
> of things to me :-)

Looks like this may already be fixed in mainline by the following commit:
commit b417c9fd8690637f0c91479435ab3e2bf450c038
Author: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue Sep 22 15:50:24 2009 +0200
x86: mce: Fix thermal throttling message storm

Can you confirm that please, either by compiling current git or by applying
that commit on top of 2.6.31.1?

Ingo: is that patch already scheduled for stable?

Cheers,
FJP