Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86: Fix build with older binutils andconsolidate linker script

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 09:57:10 EST

* Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >* tip-bot for Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Commit-ID: ddc98b38b6320d5de2e3167673a06ec1a48e9d0e
> >> Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/ddc98b38b6320d5de2e3167673a06ec1a48e9d0e
> >> Author: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >> AuthorDate: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:51:27 +0100
> >> Committer: H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>
> >> CommitDate: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:51:35 -0700
> >>
> >> x86: Fix build with older binutils and consolidate linker script
> >
> >this breaks the build with newer binutils:
>
> With the updated patch just submitted I made sure UP and SMP
> builds work as well as building with old and current binutils.

Thanks, applied.

> Sorry for having forgotten to do so before submitting the first
> time (I know I had intended to).

This happens. I'm still unsure whether we can do it in .31.0 or need
to delay it to .31.1 via a -stable backport tag. One more problem
with it and i think we'll need to delay it - it's just too large and
changes too many aspects of the linker script.

Would it be possible to split it into two pieces: 'minimal fix' and
'clean up' portions?

Ingo