Re: Boot Consoles question...

From: Robin Getz
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 19:46:36 EST

On Sat 4 Jul 2009 12:07, Robin Getz pondered:
> On Sat 4 Jul 2009 06:29, Ingo Molnar pondered:
> > Could be changed i guess ... but is it really an issue?
>
> It is just a change from "normal" (when the kernel has no boot console).
>
> > One artifact
> > could be manual scroll-back - it would perhaps be nice indeed to
> > allow the scrollback to the top of the bootlog.
>
> Exactly.
>
> One of my thoughts (was since CON_PRINTBUFFER isn't used after
> register_console()) - was for the CON_BOOT's CON_PRINTBUFFER flag to control
> the clearing of the CON_PRINTBUFFER for the real console or not...
>
> All early_printk consoles that I looked at have their CON_PRINTBUFFER set.
>
> Which means that something like should do the trick -- allow people who want
> to override things to do so, and still have the today's setup work as is...

I guess no one liked that idea?

How about at least making sure that the real console gets a message that
something is on the bootconsole? Right now the switch message:

console handover:boot [early_shadow0] -> real [ttyBF0]

only is printed on the bootconsole, not on the real console - so someone
looking at the real console may not know there is anything on the boot
console. They just think that things are missing...

-Robin