Re: [2.6.27.25] assfail in xfs_attr_quiesce() during umount

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 15:06:54 EST

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 02:42:16PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> According to the thread for the former, it was intended to be resolved
> by "proper per-vfsmount write count in 2.6.25 as part of the per-mount
> r/o patches" (C.Hellwig)
>
> Did those fixes indeed go into 2.6.25 (or 2.6.27 or below)? Was there
> something else that needed to be done for XFS to be able take advantage
> of that enhancement?

We haven't fixed the VFS issues yet. In some later kernel we just
changed the assert to a warn on for now until the issue is sorted out.

> And, is the patch posted by DavidC here:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120106649923499&w=2

It looks somehwat dangerous for me. For now I would just comment
out the assert or change it to a WARN_ON as in the newer kernels.

I've recently started looking at that area in the VFS again and I'll
hopefully make progress on a solution that sets MS_RDONLY at the
correct time.