RE: IOMMU and graphics cards

From: Duran, Leo
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 11:23:59 EST

On 07/07/2009, at 10:08 CST, Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could you also enumerate any limitations of the IOMMUs
> on the amount of memory they can remap per device if any.

Here's the spec for the AND IOMMU:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/
34434.pdf

Below is a cut-paste of "Table 3: Device Table Entry Field Definitions".
As an example, paging mode 4 supports a 48-bit virtual address space
(well beyond 4GB's). In terms of physical address space, "Figure 7: I/O
Page Translation Entry (PTE)" shows supports for up-to a 52-bit page
address.

Leo.

11:9 Mode: paging mode. Specify how the IOMMU performs page translation
on behalf of the device. If
page translation is enabled, the mode specifies the depth of the
device's I/O page tables (1 to 6
levels).

000b Translation disabled (Access controlled by IR and IW bits)
001b 1 Level Page Table (provides a 21-bit device virtual address space)
010b 2 Level Page Table (provides a 30-bit device virtual address space)
011b 3 Level Page Table (provides a 39-bit device virtual address space)
100b 4 Level Page Table (provides a 48-bit device virtual address space)
101b 5 Level Page Table (provides a 57-bit device virtual address space)
110b 6 Level Page Table (provides a 64-bit device virtual address space)
111b Reserved
Note: the page table root pointer is ignored when Mode=000b and when
Mode=111b.
Note: Mode=111b is reported as an error when V=1 and TV=1.