Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 16:04:54 EST

tridge@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES is not set and a 8.3 name is created,
> force the use of the shortname=winnt option to allow for lowercase or
> uppercase prefix and extensions without using a long name.
>
> + unsigned opts_shortname = opts->shortname;
> +
> +#ifndef CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES
> + opts_shortname = VFAT_SFN_CREATE_WINNT;
> +#endif

I'd prefer if it changes the shortname= default instead.

When mounting explicitly with shortname=mixed, this patch changes it
to shortname=winnt, which breaks compatibility when creating files on
Linux and reading on Windows 95/98/ME and devices with equivalent FAT
implementation.

I think it's ok to break that compatibility if dualnames is off,
because that's unfortunately the best available compromise.

But if shortname=mixed is explicitly requested, it can mean (and does
in some cases I've seen) that there's a reason long names are required
for lower-case 8.3 names.

-- Jamie