Re: CONFIG_VFAT_FS_DUALNAMES regressions

From: David Newall
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 12:18:24 EST

tridge@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> > * "cp dscf4160.jpg dscF3011.jpg" does not work - i.e. cam ignores the
> > file without error.
> > Reason for that is that dscF3011 has an illegal 8.3 name
>
> yep, that's expected. I suggested a possible way of handling this to
> Hirofumi-san (ie. change the case of the name), but he prefers to keep
> things simple for now.

Expected or not, it's a serious bug. If it doesn't canonify the
filename, it should return an error. Lying by returning success is
horridly wrong. And I might just suggest that as people are now
accustomed to typing mixed-case filenames, it's a bug that's likely to
occur more frequently than it might at first seem.