Re: pipe(2), read/write, maximums and behavior.

From: Corrado Zoccolo
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 08:06:28 EST

Hi Linda,
the limit displayed by the shell is the amunt of data that the sender
can send to the pipe before it would block waiting for the receiver to
read.
In your case, you make larger transfers, so they become synchronous.

For such large transfers, you should consider using vmsplice, that
allows moving data through pipes without copying.

Corrado