Core i7 not scaling frequency down

From: Felix von Leitner
Date: Sat Jul 04 2009 - 16:44:33 EST

Hi,

I just got a Nehalem CPU and it works OK except that the fans are always
running full power and it produces heat like an oven.

$ cat /proc/acpi/processor/P001/info
processor id: 0
acpi id: 1
bus mastering control: yes
power management: yes
throttling control: no
limit interface: no
$

Oh, no throttling and no limit support? How can this be? I'm using
2.6.30 but this appears to be bogus; Windows scales down the CPU
frequency OK.

Does this mean my BIOS ACPI tables are bogus?

I get this message at boot time, but it appears to be unrelated:

ACPI Warning (tbutils-0246): Incorrect checksum in table [OEMB] - 00, should be FE [20090320]

Any ideas what I could do now to get the CPU to slow down?

Thanks,

Felix