Re: printk regression?

From: Joe Perches
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 13:40:42 EST

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 10:27 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Of course, some cases are just crazy. Here's one:
>
> arch/m68knommu/kernel/traps.c: printk(KERN_CONT "\n" KERN_EMERG " [%08lx] ", addr);
>
> and I have no clue about why it would have KERN_CONT there.

Generally, it's because hardware is being scanned in little
bits and pieces with partial line printk's being used to
document things "as it happens".

If something odd happens, the "in-progress" printk's are
terminated and another "whoa nellie" printk is done.

There's a bunch of that in drivers/net.

> That makes
> little sense. Again, with the new printk logic, it really should be just
>
> printk(KERN_EMERG " [%08lx] ", addr);
>
> and nothing odd.

Maybe, but your printk change does require that all of
the kernel sources be updated as necessary.